1. Owl City – All Things Bright and Beautiful – I know this is wayyy deep into guilty pleasure territory, and I recognize this music ain’t for everyone – do you like video-game sounding beeps and straight up non-sensical lyrics usually involving fruits and vegetables? Yeah … I didn’t think so … The thing is, I don’t really either, but OC’s new album of completely infectious summery-sounding electronica is like a glass of lemonade on a hot day. There’s not much to it, but it’s refreshing and yummy and makes you feel awesome.
2. The Naked and Famous – Young Blood – Oh holy shnikes, have you ever experienced TRUE serendipity? Well, I have, and “Young Blood” is it. The journey I took to discovering this song is not important, what is important is that I managed to find this nugget, this gem, this earworm of simultaneous seam-bursting joy and soul-stabbing melancholy. There has never been a more perfect track to want to run wildly through a field to. My God, I love this song almost unhealthily. It’s essentially on repeat in my car and I can’t remember how I managed to live through my days NOT knowing what the experience of listening to this was like. The whole album is awesome, (the love child of Passion Pit and MGMT) but this track makes my internal organs vibrate.
3. Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins – I got to the Hunger Games game late, as always, but am loving every second. Nikki has beat me to the punch, but all I know is, this is a fantastic series of books. It’s living up to the hype for me, which is saying something, since expectation is 9/10 of the law.
4. Anything and everything Harry Potter related – Here I go, beating the dead horse, but I’m gonna live this month up as much as possible, and immerse myself in all things wizard-related, because this is it, folks. This includes, but is not limited to: The movies, the books, watching fan-made montages on Youtube, browsing hilarious Potter-related blogs full of nerdly musings, re-reading my favorite fan-fics (that’s right), a Slytherin-themed mani-pedi (oh yes), DVR-ing every special airing anytime soon, and wondering what J.K. Rowling’s new website Pottermore is all about. The only thing missing is a trip to Universal Studios. 😦
5. Nicki Minaj – Super Bass – F***, I love this song!! Summer girly dance music at it’s most bubbly, irresistible best. Minaj is like a hip-hop Lady Gaga, crazy talented and original. I dig all of her release “Pink Friday”, but “Super Bass” IS summer.
6. The Real Housewives of New Jersey – I realize I enjoy a lot of complete shit, and Real Housewives franchises are like a steaming bag of defecation sitting on your front step. You don’t want to look, but you gotta know from whence it came. I’m not proud, what can I say. It’s entertaining. And this season is amping it up with the introduction of crazy table-flipper Teresa’s little brother Joe and his crazy hot (and almost the same person as Teresa) wife, Melissa. Not to anger the Bravo gods, but I enjoy Melissa and Joe Gorga a helluva lot more than the treacly and insipid Guidices.
7. The Food Network – I had a few days off of work, blessedly, and this was on in the background almost the whole time (much to Mr. Annie’s chagrin). I cannot get enough of this shit. I want Ina Garten to be my mom and Claire Robinson my BFF. Have you SEEN 5 Ingredient Fix?!?! Every recipe = FIVE ingredients! Which fools me into thinking I can be a chef too! And makes me want to narrate in my kitchen, like I have my own show! In all seriousness, I do plan on attempting to make this sometime over the next few days. I hope the force is with me on this because holy cow, does it look incredible.