I’m feeling loads of passion for some new (and old) things this month, and I must share.
- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin – I’ve jumped on the Thrones bandwagon after watching the stellar season 1 on HBO. I have to say, this is not disappointing. In fact, I am loving every page. The show closely followed the first book, but (obviously) everything is so much more fleshed out and detailed, and things make more sense. It’s like The Lord of the Rings, minus the intense descriptions and ancient-sounding prose, plus a little bit of sex and a shit ton of treachery. I am sooo looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
- Florence + The Machine – “Ceremonials” – I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release
of Florence Welch’s second album, and my dear sweet LORD did this live up to my expectations. I’m completely obsessed with her building, anthemic wails and just cannot get enough. “Shake It Out” is hands down my favorite song of hers, period. It just blew my brain out, from the first moment I heard it. Other tracks melting my grey matter: “Only If For A Night“, “All This And Heaven Too“, “Leave My Body“, “No Light, No Light.”
- Spotify – Spotify rocks. It’s Pandora, if you could listen to exactly what you wanted, on demand. For FREE. It’s also a fantastic way to share music with friends – you literally send them the track and they can listen to it at their leisure, in its entirety. I HIGHLY recommend checking it out.
- Enlightened, HBO – This is quickly turning into one of the shows I most look forward to watching each week. I love the dreamy vibe, Luke Wilson’s soulful, pain-filled eyes, and people that actually kind of act like real people. Laura Dern is great, and although her character is not someone I actually like, it’s not deterring my enjoyment – she still conveys enough truth and pain that I do care about what happens to her.
- M83 – “Hurry Up We’re Dreaming” – OMFG I discovered this candy-coated,
shimmering, twinkling, bonanza of happiness two days ago, and I’m already madly in love. “Midnight City” is going to be the soundtrack of my upcoming vacation. I can’t stop listening to it. (It’s currently on a new Victoria’s Secret ad as well). This album sounds like what would happen if MGMT or The Naked & Famous time-warped back to the 80s, f***ed the Tron soundtrack, and had an experimental baby. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
- David Guetta ft. Sia – “Titanium” – DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. Not much else I can say except that this song is thrilling, and inspires me to be a strong survivor of whatever comes my way, AND dance my face off.
- Happy Endings, ABC – Fast becoming one of my favorite shows. We’ve talked about this before, here and here. But as each episode goes by, the cast develops even greater chemistry and the laughs just get harder and crazier. Loving every minute.
- THIS – Makes me want to go get hammered just so I can have a hangover and lay on the couch all day in my pjs with a spot ‘o tea and watch as many of these as humanly possible. I LOVE THIS LIST. I WANT TO MAKE SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO IT.