Oh my god. I feel like all I’ve done this whole freaking summer is write about music on here. But, in the absence of most of the TV I watch and the fact that the Dark Knight Rises shooting made it so I couldn’t deal with going to see an actual film and the sun/swimming/summer/fun shit I’ve been up to has kept me from consuming media that takes longer than 4 minutes, it all starts to make sense. I posted this summer playlist back in June, and lo and behold, as the summer progressed, a shitload more music has been released, and there’s lotsa stuff I’m basically freaking obsessed with that’s filling my brain with all kinds of good, legal, natural chemicals (I think I’ve tweeted each of these songs throughout the summer, but, here they are in one place).
Here’s what I’ve been LOVING LOVING LOVING the past month or so…
1. ‘We Run the Night’ – Havana Brown ft. Pitbull – I don’t know who the hell Havana Brown is but Pitbull = DANCE! This song makes me feel dirty, in a good way, and makes me want to get crunk-k-k-k-k.
2. ‘Whistle’ – Flo Rida – This song is a hilarious double entendre and I love it. A slick, summer ode to, well, you know.
3. ‘It’s Time’ – Imagine Dragons – This song is so feel-good, and has such an awesome message, it’s almost anthem-level awesome. If you’ve never heard of it, it’s gonna be on the season premiere of Glee, which seems fitting, as they chant, “I’m never changing who I am.” (I don’t get the post-apocalyptic video, though)
4. ‘Call Me Maybe’ – Carly Rae Jepsen – Okay. I wanted to hate (and I did, for a long time). But then I was out with friends, on a gorgeous summer Saturday evening, sitting on a patio, with the breeze in my hair and a Corona in hand, and this came on. Almost every table was singing along, and I sort of felt like I was in the “Say a Little Prayer” scene of My Best Friend’s Wedding, and I fell in teeny-bopper love. (Yes, we filmed a *cough*video*cough* that shall never see the light of day)
5. ‘One More Night’ – Maroon 5 – I freaking hate this band and Adam Levine even more, but this is so goddamn catchy, I couldn’t help myself. The video is hilarious, as Minka Kelly will never be white trash, no matter hard they try. She was Lyla Garrity, ya’ll, the prissy queen of Dillon, TX!
6. ‘Let’s Go’ – Calvin Harris ft. Ne-Yo – Oh my god. Oh my god. This is my highest rotation track as of this current moment. It makes me feel pumped up, to live in the moment, to go do whatever I want, RIGHT FREAKING NOW!!!!! And to dance while I’m doing it! Shit, I love this song. So. Much. Live your life people, it’s NOW OR NEVER.
7. ‘Domino’ – Jessie J – This is in the ‘Call Me Maybe’ pile of songs that grew on me, like fungus. It just makes me want to fall in love, on a summer night. And I always love when there’s talk of glitter rain. Plus, her makeup is rad.
8. ‘Calling (Lose My Mind)’ – Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso ft. Ryan Tedder – X and I heard this for the first time at our cousin’s wedding a few weeks ago, and she fell instantly in love. It took me a few more days, but I’ve come around. Ryan Tedder’s smooth voice, plus a maddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd beat drop makes me want to dance dance dance ’til I’m dead.
9. ‘Home’ – Phillip Phillips – Don’t let the fact that this guy won American Idol put you off – this song SERIOUSLY sounds EXACTLY like Mumford & Sons, like, exactly. It was also a huge hit at the London Olympics this summer. If you’ve never heard it, check it stat, you won’t regret.
10. ‘Jenny’ – Walk the Moon – Another fun, catchy, HAPPY, dance-y tune to bop to with the windows rolled down. I’ve really wanted to dance this summer, in case you can’t tell. 😉 PS: This song is also hawt.
11. ‘Leave the Lights On’ – Meiko – After hearing this on a local station, I really started to dig this one. There’s an AWESOME remix that I also equally dig, but for the sake of making a proper list, I put the original one here.
12. ‘The Boxer’ – Jerry Douglas ft. Mumford & Sons and Paul Simon – I left this for last, as it’ll bring you to a proper, tear-shedding orgasm and leave you ready to fall asleep, freaking spent. >:) This song blows me away. It’s so stunningly lovely and beautiful and shattering, that I can’t even deal with it. You’re welcome, btw.
Now you know what it’s been like inside my car for the past several weeks.